Our Earth looks blue from space because there is so much water in the form of oceans, seas and rivers, but also groundwater and clouds. People and most animals are also largely made up of water. Make pupils aware of the problems surrounding the availability of sufficient (drinking) water on earth, teach them about the water cycle and how we can all use water sustainably, and do so ourselves.
The global water cycle is the bloodstream of ecosystems that allows nutrients to reach all its members, so we need to understand the fundamentals of how the water cycle works to know how to use water sustainably so that it is distributed to all members of the ecosystems.
By learning about the limitations of water sources, we learn to find site-specific solutions to meet our water needs.
Get to know your water needs and how to meet them without harming the others.
SDG 6 Clean Water and Sanitation; SDG 14: Life Below Water; SDG 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure; SDG 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities; SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production; SDG 16: Peace and Justice Strong Institutions; SDG 17: Partnerships to achieve the Goal
Physics, Ecology, Chemistry, Economy, History, Mathematics, Geography, Biology
- Clean drinking water
- Water Extraction
- Water Purification
- Water Management
- Recall demands & sources of water in different parts of the world (water security) & understand connection with human development
- Understand differences between water sources (great water cycle)
- Understand connections between changes in great water cycle, biodiversity, climate, soils and human development
- Understand environmental impacts of water usages
- Identify harmful impacts of unsustainable water usages
- Understand water consumption personal, community, national level
- Recognise possibilities for decreasing water consumption
- Understand hidden water of different products and services
- Communicate need for clean water & saving water
- Assess need for affordable, reliable, sustainable, clean water supply system for all people and regions
- Cooperate with others to transfer, adapt & develop water cleaning, purifying & supplying technologies to different contexts
- Develop vision of and create design for a reliable, sustainable water supply & usage in their school, family, community
- Suggest technology transfers in collaboration between countries)
- Apply & evaluate measures to increase water efficiency in the personal & community sphere.
- Plan and evaluate measures to increase sustainable water usages in their home, community, school
- Influence school/public policies on sustainable water supply & usage
- Know how to act and trained to help others in the situation of outages of central water systems
- Know how to build nature based solutions for supplying, cleaning and purifying water